Standing on the Verge of Getting It On is the sixth studio album by Funkadelic, released on Westbound Records, released in July of 1974. On this album, the lyrics generally take a backseat to the music and the jamming. It is one of the most popular Funkadelic albums among fans, and considered an essential album for fans of lead guitarist Eddie Hazel
Standing on the Verge of Getting It On is the sixth studio album by Funkadelic, released on Westbound Records, released in July of 1974. It is one of the most popular Funkadelic albums among fans, and considered an essential album for fans of lead guitarist Eddie Hazel
People, doing, yes Standing on the verge of gettin' it on Really gettin' it on. People, what you doing? Standing on the verge of gettin' it on Really gettin' it on. Standing on the verge of gettin' it on Really gettin' it on. More on Genius. About Standing on the Verge of Getting It On. From Standing on the Verge of Getting It On album (1975). The Song is about to keep an open mind when listening to Funkadelic or music in general. To eliminate judgement or preconcieved notions initially.
Artwork – Bruse Bell, Maggot Funkagraphix, In. Pedro Bell. Artwork – Bell Brothers (2), G. Lance Everett. Bass Vocals – Ray (Stingray) Davis. Bass, Vocals – C. 'Boogie' Mosson. Design Concept, Design – George Clinton, Pedro Bell. Guest, Bass – Jimmy Calhoun. Guest, Drums – Gary Bronson. Craziest busy artwork I think I've ever seen on album.
Funkadelic continued their mid-career brilliance with their sixth album, balancing the expansive jams of their early work with concise songwriting courtesy of Eddie Hazel and George Clinton. Two Parliament tunes get blown up with overdubs and ensemble casts: blistering funk-rock anthem "Red Hot Momma" and slow-burning torch song "I'll Stay. A somber, blues-soaked sequel to Maggot Brain is delivered via "Good Thoughts, Bad Thoughts.
But STANDING is the better and stronger album, and easily Funkadelic's most consistent work since the classic MAGGOT BRAIN. Even though the band's members were, at the time, doing double duty in the more commercially oriented Parliament, Funkadelic maintained it's complete allegiance here to wildly experimental, rock-influenced music. The album begins with a lighthearted poem read by two band members, their voices sped up to sound like the Chipmunks
The first 4 songs on the album are all about women. Sexy Ways, musically, is one of the most fun songs on the album, with some of the best funk grooving going on in the rhythm section. Alice in My Fantasies is just the opposite, lyrically. The second half of the album steps out into different territory. In today’s world, people would sue Funkadelic for releasing a song like Jimmy’s Got A Little Bit of Bi ch in Him. The song speaks of a friend that is gay.
It was the only album he fully participated in. George Clinton is in top form on the classic funk & rock soul style that was left field of anything on black radio in the early '70s. featuring Alice in My Fantasies and the deep philosophical closer "Good Thoughts, Bad Thoughts. Funk is its own Reward" - George Clinton.
Alice In My Fantasies. Standing on the Verge of Getting It On. Jimmy's Got a Little Bit of Bitch In Him. Good Thoughts, Bad Thoughts.
Tales Of Kidd Funkadelic by Funkadelic. One Nation Under A Groove by Funkadelic. Music With Funkadelic by Funkadelic. More albums from Funkadelic: First Ya Gotta Shake The Gate by Funkadelic. Tales Of Kidd Funkadelic by Funkadelic.
Tracklist Hide Credits
|A1||Red Hot Momma
Written-By – B. Worrel*, E. Hazle*
|A2||Alice In My Fantasies||2:27|
|B1||Standing On The Verge Of Getting It On||4:42|
|B2||Jimmy's Got A Little Bit Of Bitch In Him||2:30|
|B3||Good Thoughts, Bad Thoughts||12:20|
- Distributed By – Chess/Janus Records
- Distributed By – Janus Records
- Phonographic Copyright (p) – Westbound Records, Inc.
- Produced For – Westbound Records, Inc.
- Published By – Bridgeport Music
- Published By – Gold Forever Music
- Recorded At – Manta Sound
- Recorded At – Hollywood Sound Recorders
- Recorded At – Crystal Sound
- Recorded At – United Sound Systems
- Art Direction – Neil Terk
- Artwork [Album Art] – Bruse Bell, Maggot Funkagraphix, Inc., Pedro Bell
- Artwork [Funkadelic Portraits] – Bell Brothers , G. Lance Everett
- Bass Vocals [Subterranean Bass Vocals] – Ray (Stingray) Davis*
- Bass, Vocals – C. 'Boogie' Mosson*
- Design Concept [Album Concept], Design – George Clinton, Pedro Bell
- Guest, Bass – Jimmy Calhoun
- Guest, Drums – Gary Bronson
- Guest, Percussion – Tyrone Lampkin
- Guest, Piano – Leon Patillo
- Keyboards, Vocals – Bernard (Bernie) Worrell*
- Lead Guitar, Vocals – Eddie 'Smedley Smorganoff' Hazel*
- Liner Notes – Sir Lleb Of Funkadelia*
- Percussion, Vocals – R. 'Tiki' Fulwood*
- Photography By [Funkadelic Portraits] – Ira Marcus
- Producer – George Clinton
- Rhythm Guitar, Lead Guitar – Ron Brykowski*
- Rhythm Guitar, Lead Guitar, Vocals [Dowop Vocals] – Gary Shider*
- Supervised By [Production Supervision] – Bob Scerbo
- Tenor Vocals, Congas – Calvin Simon
- Vocals – George Clinton, 'Shady' Grady Thomas*
- Vocals [Berserker Octave Vocals] – Clarence 'Fuzzy' Haskins*
- Written-By – G. Clinton*, G. Cook* (tracks: A2 to B3)
℗ 1974 Westbound Records, Inc.
Produced [...] for Westbound Records, Inc.
Recorded at Manta Sound, Toronto; Hollywood Sound, Hollywood; Crystal Sound, Los Angeles; and United Sound, Detroit.
All tunes published by: Bridgeport Music BMI except "Red Hot Momma" published by: Gold Forever Music BMI
The members of Parliament appear through the courtesy of Casablanca Records.
Westbound Records are nationally distributed by Chess/Janus Records, 1633 Broadway, New York, N.Y. 10019. A division of GRT Corp.
No publishing credits below the tracks
No STEREO above side indicators
℗ 1974 Westbound Records Inc., Detroit, Michigan
Distributed by Janus Records N.Y. N.Y
Barcode and Other Identifiers
- Rights Society: BMI
- Matrix / Runout (Label side A): WB 1001 A
- Matrix / Runout (Label side B): WB 1001 B
|WB 1001||Funkadelic||Standing On The Verge Of Getting It On (LP, Album, Pit)||Westbound Records||WB 1001||US||1974|
|WB-1001, WB 1001||Funkadelic||Standing On The Verge Of Getting It On (LP, Album, MO)||Westbound Records, Westbound Records||WB-1001, WB 1001||US||1974|
|5198-1001 M||Funkadelic||Standing On The Verge Of Getting It On (Cass, Album)||Westbound Records||5198-1001 M||US||1974|
|SEWA 040||Funkadelic||Standing On The Verge Of Getting It On (LP, Album, RE, Gat)||Westbound Records||SEWA 040||Germany||1991|
|SEWA 040||Funkadelic||Standing On The Verge Of Getting It On (LP, RE, Gat)||Westbound Records||SEWA 040||UK||Unknown|